WILMINGTON, NC (CNN) – Again, two dog owners in North Carolina are devastated and warn others after the death of their three dogs a few hours after exposure to blue-green algae.
According to WECT, Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz took the dogs to a pond in Wilmington to play and swim on Thursday night.
Back at home, one of the Westies started acting strangely. They took her to an emergency animal hospital. Then the other dogs began to grasp and show signs of liver failure. Just after midnight, the three dogs were dead.
Now, homeowners warn others against the dangers of toxic algae.
In an article on Facebook that has been shared thousands of times, Martin says Mintz and her are on a mission to set up signs near the water, warning of the possibility of toxic algae.